Gianandrea Noseda will be the next music director of the Washington, DC National Symphony Orchestra. He will be Music Director Designate for a season (2016-17), with his appointment commencing in the fall of 2017. His initial contract runs through 2020-21.
I have never heard Noseda conduct, so I have nothing the slightest bit useful to add to Anne Midgette's coverage, to which I link above. He has conducted the Met on several occasions and there will be reviews at the Times of his work there.
Updated list of open spots:
- New York Philharmonic
- City of Birmingham SO (Rumors of Edward Gardner)
- Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
- Milwaukee Symphony
- Hong Kong Philharmonic
- Shanghai Symphony Orchestra
- San Diego Symphony
- Orchestra Nationale de France
- Vienna Staatsoper / VPO
- National Symphony Orchestra; Gianandrea Noseda appointed, 1/4/2016, succeeding Christoph Eschenbach.
- Leipzig Gewandhaus: Andris Nelsons appointed, 9/9/2015
- LSO: Simon Rattle appointed, 3/2/2015
- Orchestra de Paris: Daniel Harding, 6/11/2015
- Berlin Philharmonic: Kirill Petrenko appointed, 6/22/2015
- BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra; Thomas Dausgaard succeeds Donald Runnicles in September, 2016