Sunday, February 12, 2017

Dallas Opera, 2017-18

Well, well, one of the more unusual operatic seasons in the US, and it's in Dallas. Good for you - I will finally make my first visit, maybe two, to Texas. Once again, I steal liberally from OT. The Dallas Opera web page about the season is here.

October 20- November 5 2017: Samson and Dalila
October 27-November 12 2017: La traviata
February 9-17 2018: Erich Wolfgang Korngold's The Ring of Polykrates
March 9-17 2018: Michel van der Aa's Sunken Garden
April 13-29 2018: Don Giovanni

The items of interest are obvious: the American premieres of both Korngold's The Ring of Polykrates and Michel van der Aa's Sunken Garden. I don't know van der Aa's music, and I admit that I poked this opera and The Secret Garden for the similarity of their sets. But, yeah, I'd really like to see it! And that's partly because I don't know his music at all.

I need to mention that the great British baritone Roderick Williams is in Sunken Garden. I've seen him twice, once in the Britten War Requiem at SFS and once in Harrison Birtwistle's Yan Tan Tethera, and he is one of the best you will ever hear.

There's some attractive casting elsewhere, too, most notably Mariusz Kwiecien as Don Giovanni.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting season, repertory- and casting-wise. Surprised to see Borodina as Dalila, as she hasn't been performing much outside of Russia the last few years. Would love to hear the Korngold.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Yeah, same on the Korngold!