Wednesday, April 22, 2009

If I Could Go to One Music Festival This Summer....

The 20th Bard Music Festival is called Wagner and His World. If *&($#)@) Blogger provided an easy way to do cut tags, I'd post the whole festival schedule, but it doesn't. So you'll just have to be satisfied with a summary, at least until Bard manages to post the festival web site.
The dates are August 14-16 and August 21-23; there are twelve concerts, which will include excerpts from all thirteen (yes, 13!) of Wagner's operas, plus music by (deep breath) Auber, Bellini, Berlioz, Brahms, Bruch, Bruckner, Chabrier, Chausson, Cherubini, Chopin, Czerny, Debussy, Duparc, Dvořák, Flotow, Robert Franz, Goldmark, Hermann Goetz, Granados, Griffes, Halévy, Hérold, Hiller, Herzogenberg, Humperdinck, Joachim, Liszt, Loewe, Marschner, Mendelssohn, Messager, Meyerbeer, Nietzsche, Offenbach, Palestrina, Alexander Ritter, Rossini, Clara Schumann, Robert Schumann, Spohr, Spontini, Johann Strauss Jr., Richard Strauss, Arthur Sullivan, Suppé, Weber, and Wolf. Yes, all of them.

The performers include the American Symphony Orchestra (Leon Botstein, cond., natch), Christine Goerge, Jeremy Denk, Gary Lehman, and a bunch of other fine folks. In addition to the concerts, there are a whole bunch of lectures. Ticket prices are very reasonable, running $25 to $55.

7 comments:

Steve Smith said...

Lisa, I've just e-mailed you an untagged press release with the entire schedule.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I have the same press release, and I see that the meaning of "cut tag" isn't obvious. A cut tag is when you see only part of a posting, then click a link so that you can "Read the rest behind the cut." This is do-able in Blogger but not quickly or easily - you have to change your CSS, etc.

Steve Smith said...

Ah, I understand what you mean; I just misread you as saying "…provided an easy way to cut tags," which I interpreted as meaning you were trying to cut and paste from another web site. Sorry for my confusion…

Lisa Hirsch said...

It's okay! I just wish I could go.

Daniel Wolf said...

At the risk of being tailed by angry Wagnerites for the rest of my days, I'd sure like to hear whatever gets played from Die Feen, my favorite of the 13.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Ahahaha, I will assume you also like Meyerbeer.

Daniel Wolf said...

von Weber yes, Meyerbeer not so much.