Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Fantasy Opera, Season 4

You didn't think I was done, did you??
  • Salinen, Kullervo. I have a recording of this; I've heard some of his music live and on record, and I'd love to see a production of this one.
  • Monteverdi, L'Orfeo
  • Krenek, Jonny Spielt Auf
  • Weill, Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny
  • Leoncavallo, La Boheme
  • Reyer, Sigurd
  • Hindemith, Mathis der Maler
  • Adamo, Lysistrata
  • Verdi, Les V

    ê

    pres Sicilienne
  • Saint-Saens, Henry VIII
  • Ponchielle, La Giaconda (So sue me - I love this one, at least on record. I have more recordings of Giaconda than I have of all Rossini operas put together.)
  • Dvorak, The Devil and Kate
  • Weber, Oberon
  • Dukas, Ariane et Barbe-Bleu
  • Zandonai, Francesca da Rimini
  • Martin, Le Vin Herbe

4 comments:

Michael said...

I was thinking of Mathis der Maler after hearing the Konzertmusik at SFS this weekend. I don't know if I've heard any Sallinen live; that would be a treat too.

But Mahagonny for a fantasy season? That's done more often than anything by Weill beyond Threepenny. How about Die Bürgschaft? Der Kuhhandel? Der Silbersee?

I know, I know, "go fund your own fantasy opera season..."

Lisa Hirsch said...

Well, I haven't actually seen Mahagonny, so it's the one I picked.

Anonymous said...

Your first four have actually been done in LA: Kullervo had its world premiere at the LA Opera (with the same cast as the recording), L'Orfeo and Jonny were done by the Long Beach Opera (Krenek showed up to take a bow), and the LA Opera Mahagonny is available in DVD (with Audra MacDonald and Patty Lupone).

Les Vêpres Sicilienne has been done in SF, but in Italian translation. I assume you mean in French.

It's a great list. I would want to hear Oberon in English, I don't care how awful the libretto is supposed to be -- I'd rather make up my own mind about that. Has it even been recorded in the original language?

Lisa Hirsch said...

I haven't seen Sicilian Vespers in any languages, so I figured I'd specify the original. I don't care much about the language of Oberon; will take it either way.

I'm assuming Sallinen's Kullervo has not been done in the US since the premiere - true?