Thursday, March 17, 2011

Starbucks Buying Peet's Coffee?

Starbucks Coffee is rumored to be in talks to buy Peet's Coffee.

I've already emailed Peet's to tell them that they will lose my business forever if they sell, despite my affection for their Assam Golden Tips tea and Garuda blend coffee. (You can email them too.)

That said, if they sell out, there are plenty of local alternatives.

  • Uncommon Grounds
  • Thanksgiving Coffee Company
  • Blue Bottle
  • Ritual Roasters
  • Jeremiah's Coffee
  • Berkeley Bowl
  • Farmer Joe's

4 comments:

John Marcher said...

That would indeed be sad, as I've been making a cup of their French Roast every morning for the past fifteen years or so.

I guess that would make switch to Phil'z - not sure if you have them in the East Bay, but the coffee is quite good and much more reasonably priced than over-hyped Blue Bottle.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I know of one inconveniently located Phil'z only, but there are plenty of good options.

Unknown said...

The thing I worry about is that I'm a tea drinker. Peet's takes great care with their teas. Starbucks does essentially nothing. I don't know about the coffee places you mention - I occasionally drink coffee and appreciate the quality one-stop shopping for both that Peet's offers.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I like their teas a lot myself, sigh.