Wednesday, March 02, 2011

And....It's Official

James Levine resigns as Music Director of the BSO, effective September 1, 2011. Search committee being formed; everybody wishes him the best, etc. The orchestra will be working with Levine to define a new artistic role for him. The link above is to the BSO's own announcement; Dan Wakin has the story at the Times.

I've got to say, this makes me sad. By all accounts, he has reinvigorated the orchestra and accomplished a great deal since joining seven years ago. I am glad he will have some kind of continuing role with the orchestra, though.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sad too, because he's a fine conductor and a brilliant music director. It's not his fault that his health sucks. But he can't do the job, and this has been apparent for a long time.

Henry Holland said...

I bet the BSO patrons who freaked out because Levine programmed *gasp* Schoenberg and Carter and Wuorinen, and not just 8 minute curtain raisers, will breath a sigh of relief. He was supposed to conduct the world premiere of Birtwistle's Violin Concerto tonight, but alas.

So, who's in the running to replace him? Go for a veteran like Charles Dutoit (now that Yannick Nezet-Seguin is in Philadelphia) or someone younger and in his/her first big post?

I can't imagine he's going to be at the Met much longer, either.

Joe Barron said...

It seems his duties at the Met don't take as much out of him, and he's not missed as much when he isn't there. Tommasini makes the point in what is otherwise rather a harsh post mortem in today's Times. I posted a partial response on my blog.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I haven't read Tommasini's post mortem yet but glanced at your posting, Joe - yikes. Will get to it this weekend.

Joe Barron said...

Yikes? Is that directed at me or Mr. T?

Lisa Hirsch said...

Tony, of course.