Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Wagner in 2013

I wound up deciding not to apply for Bayreuth tickets through the Wagner Society for this year, even though there will be an allotment and even though, obviously, it would be a very special year to attend the festival. But I do want to see some Wagner this year, and Flying Dutchman at SFO won't be enough.

I think I'd like to see Parsifal, since it has been nearly 10 years, and Tristan und Isolde. At the moment, I'm eyeing the Canadian Opera Company's run of Bill Viola and Peter Sellars's Tristan Project, with Ben Heppner/Michael Baba, Melanie Diener/Margaret Jane Wray, Davida Karnas,  Alan Held, and Franz-Josef Selig, conducted by Johannes Debus. (I am confused; there's a production someplace conducted by Jiri Belohlavek, who is great; Mr. Debus is unknown to me.) There's the Met Parsifal but that can be seen on HD broadcast. Not the same as being there, I know. I can manage a weekend dash to NYC if necessary.

I would also consider attending the right Ring, and, yeah, I am thinking about the not-yet-sold-out Seattle production, the last bring-up of the Wadsworth Ring.

Operabase.com has schedules through the summer; most companies haven't announced their 2013-14 seasons yet. (Oops. Operabase thinks the Toronto production is conducted by Mr. Belohlavek.)

Comments? Suggestions?

No comments: