Tuesday, October 01, 2013

People I'm Thankful For

Whatever quibbles and complaints I have made about their organizations, and you can find them sprinkled liberally around this blog, David Gockley, general director of San Francisco Opera, and Brent Assink, executive director San Francisco Symphony, have kept their organizations running and thriving through a very tough financial decade. (Yeah, that short and still inexplicable strike earlier this year at SFS, but it was settled fast and without permanent damage to the orchestra. Whatever.)

Long may you live, and thank you for all you've done.

3 comments:

oboeinsight.com said...

Yes yes yes. I'm grateful as well. I'm also thankful that I still have jobs here in San Jose, even while "my" groups are suffering.

Why folks in Silicon Valley can't help out a bit is beyond me, but I'm old. And cranky.

Unknown said...

I realize I am late in commenting. But sometimes I get behind in my blog reading. I so enjoy reading yours. I so appreciate that YOU appreciate the leadership of two so great and so different men. I've had the honor of working for both of them. This town is lucky to have them.
Karen

Lisa Hirsch said...

Hi, Karen, and thank you. As a blogger and occasional member of the press, it's my job to complain, but sometimes it's a good idea to reflect on what's going right. (I actually hardly ever complain about Brent Assink, who is so discreet and professionally behind-the-scenes, but I certainly grouch about Gockley, or his programming, a lot.)