- Anne Midgette throws down a gauntlet that I am looking at squinty-eyed.
- Elaine Fine at Musical Assumptions is "taken aback;" not entering but answering the first question anyway.
- Patrick Vaz at Reverberate Hills is in high dudgeon. In the comments SFMike makes his disdain known. (I like Amanda, Mike!)
- Brian at Out West Arts rightly uses the tag rant for his posting. I need one of those.
- Mr. CKDH at All is Yar was going to ignore the whole thing.
- Zerbinetta, of Likely Impossibilities, rolls her eyes, writes great stuff about how getting to Carnegie Hall didn't help her local orchestra, but may enter! [Update: and she has entered!]
- Douglas McLennan, founder/editor of ArtsJournal and one of the judges of the contest, weighs in, quoting me, Patrick, Brian, and Anne. Are ArtsJournal bloggers allowed to enter? Apparently so, given the loose eligibility rules.
- Seated Ovation is participating.
- Musical Perceptions is participating.
- Opera Tattler entered.
- Omniscient Mussel registered, but seems to have missed the first essay deadline.
- Drew McManus weighs in, skeptically.
- Linda Essig entered, then thought the better of it.
- I'm sputtering. Yes, that was fun to write. Why do you ask? By the way, my answer to the question is "It depends." Alex Ross counted 50 new music groups in NYC a few years back, during the heat of the Death of Classical Music Debate, round 1. I doubt there's another city in the country with that density of new music performance. As for all other aspects of that pointless question, I roll my eyes.
I also can't shut up:
Monday, March 26, 2012
Contest Reactions, Here and There
Time to start tracking the reactions around the blogosphere (watch this posting for updates):