Thursday, July 26, 2012

Why isn't William Burden a Huge Star?

I've heard William Burden as Captain Vere, Peter Quint, and the Shepherd in the last four years, and he has been superb in all: a beautiful voice, scrupulous musicianship, a strong stage presence. Oh, he's good-looking, too.

So why? The only possible answer is his preference for off-the-beaten-track repertory. Looking at his Operabase listing, I see the odd Ottavio or Edgardo - and I'm sure he is very, very good in those - but more operas like The Rape of Lucretia, King Roger, and recent/new opera. It's too bad that it's hard to become a really big star doing this repertory - but there are advantages to being a go-to tenor in unusual repertory, too. You never get bored, and I get to see you a lot. And yeah, you bet I'm looking forward to our Mary Magdalen.

No comments: