In the violin section:
- Dan Carlson is named Principal Second Violin.
- Paul Brancato continues as Acting Associate Second Violin.
- John Chisolm and Chen Zhao are Co-Acting Assistant Second Violins.
- Elina Lev joins as a section second violinist.
- Sarah Knutson continues as a one-year substitute.
In the trumpets, Mark Grisez is a one-year substitute as Acting Associate Principal Trumpet.
In the trombones, Tim Owen is a one-year substitute in the new position of Acting Associate Principal Trombone.
In the timpani, Alex Orfaly continues as a one-year substitute as Acting Associate Principal Timpani. (Remember, auditions are scheduled for next month.)
Here's the most interesting part: there is not yet an appointment as principal oboe. Instead, "various musicians will perform with the oboe section throughout the season."
- Jonathan Fischer ("currently on leave from the Symphony") will be one of the guests. (He is on leave as second oboe while playing first oboe in the Houston Symphony, and was acting principal for much of last year.)
- Jeffrey Rathbun, Assistant Principal of the Cleveland Orchestra, will play principal during the SFS US tour in November.
- Eugene Izotov will play principal for the first two weeks of the season before his season with the Chicago Symphony, where he is principal oboe, starts.
- Chris Gaudi continues as Acting Associate Principal.
Okay. Fischer is obviously a known quantity to the orchestra and MTT. The longer stints by Rathbun and Izotov, though not billed as tryouts, give the orchestra and MTT a closer look at two obviously accomplished oboists and how they might fit in.
We shall see.