Tuesday, April 23, 2013

More on the BSO Season

I count six orchestral works by living composers and six chamber works by living composers. Looks like two of the 50th anniversary commissions for the BSO Chamber Players are by women, plus...argh, Amy Beach's dreadful piano quintet makes its appearance. So, two of 12 new pieces are by women and 1 of the rest is by a woman.

UPDATE: Oh, wait, links:


The web site itself is useless: they still have a format where you see a photo and a tagline for a concert, but can't see who all of the performers and works are without clicking through and mousing over. Folks, this is the worst possible design. Alex Ross and I have been complaining about this kind of thing for years. Just stop doing it.

5 comments:

john_burke100 said...

I've just spent a maddening half hour trying--and failing--to buy tickets to this summer's San Luis Obispo Festival. You find the events you want, you pick the seating you want, you say Accept these seats and then... there's no shopping cart! There's no "Confirm Order" button! There's no way to check out and actually send them money (which is presumably what they want)! I've emailed them but I'm pessimistic about getting any actual, what's the word, assistance. As you've said before, it's not as though online ticketing were a new, untried process. There are people who know how this should be done. For god's sake, hire them, and fire the bozos you've got now!

Forgive my vehemence. It's the gin.

Lisa Hirsch said...

Oh, man. The San Luis Obispo Festival people don't know what they are doing. I will forward some email to you.

Joe Barron said...

But Ades is conducting Ives' Orcchestral Set No. 2, the greatest music ever written by an American. (There, I've said it.) All other sins are forgiven.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I do need to ask if you've looked at what's at Carnegie Hall on Friday, May 10.

Joe Barron said...

Yes, I have, but it would be a long night, and Slatkin is conducting.I think I'll stay home.